Naburn Parish is on the southern perimeter of the area administered by the City of York Council. It is part of the City's Wheldrake Ward and sits within the York Outer Parliamentary Constituency.

Although part of the City, it remains set in a largely rural landscape surrounded by open country and farming land with leisure facilities developed along the river for boaters and campers.

1066 marchIt is bordered to the west by the River Ouse and stretches north to the edge of Fulford, east to the A19 and South to beyond Moor Lane, including Naburn Locks. Around 500 people live in the Parish.

The residential core of the Parish is the historic village of Naburn, which perches on the banks of the Ouse and is encircled to the south and east by the old York to Selby Railway line, now part of the National Cycleway and a much loved and much used leisure facility by walkers, runners and cyclists.

The river, farming and proximity to York have all contributed to the story of Naburn that started long before the Norman invasion in 1066. Its growth began centuries ago as cottages clustered around the Manor House (now Naburn Hall). Some of them, dating back to the 17th and 18th Centuries, were farms and workers' cottages and are still there today and a cherished part of the village's architectural heritage.

There are no fewer than 16 listed structures within the Parish of Naburn and most of them are within the heart of the village. The exceptions are five listings linked to Bell Hall to the south of the village and the Banqueting House at Naburn Locks and the locks themselves. Closer to the centre of the community are Naburn Hall and its coach house and stables

Naburn village is the hub of the Parish, and embraces St Matthew's Church, Naburn Church of England Primary School, the Village Hall and playing field, the Blacksmiths Arms pub, Yorkshire Ouse Sailing Club and York Marina. The old Reading Room, in Front Street, is owned by the Parish Council and, as well as a venue for Parish Council meetings, it doubles up as a Post Office several days a week and is now being developed as a community meeting room.

Village Hall